Links to: Council & Committee Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes
Council Financial Accounts
Council Office Details
The Council of 11 members meet on the 2nd Thursday of 10 months (not August or December) to hear the
public and to transact essential business.
All parish meetings are held in Hessenford Church Hall at 7.30 pm.
There are three electoral wards, unusual for rural parishes in Caradon, but necessary because of
the different nature of the wards.
- HESSENFORD, the smallest ward, has 139 electors living in 69 houses and represented by
3 parish councillors
- SEATON, slightly larger, has 249 electors living in 110 houses and 29 flats represented
by 3 parish councillors
- DOWNDERRY, by far the largest ward , has 719 electors , 297 houses and 56 flats represented
by 5 parish councillors
The inequality of representation is well known but the present arrangement has the advantage that
no single ward can automatically win an open vote in council. Neither is there a single member ward !
Currently the Parish has a number of Projects in hand.
- A project to develop a walkway around the so called Rock’s Nose Corner between Downderry & Seaton
where there is a constant danger to pedestrians. It is hoped to develop a micropark with items of
interest within which a path will feature.
- A leisure facility is planned for TanverYate, a small almost flat field which the parish
has purchased. As of December 2003 planning permission has been conditionally granted. The
Parish will now seek grants to develop the site for football and perhaps tennis and bowls
- The Parish also purchased the Axe field and is contemplating simple leisure activities here.
Again grant funding is being sought.